DQ Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Nice Change of Pace

As much as I love football, I've really been looking forward to covering another sport for a change in the seven weeks since I started at the Globe-News. I finally got my first non-football byline on Saturday when thanks to a quirk of scheduling, I got to cover the West Texas A&M-Central Oklahoma match.

It turned out to be a historic occasion, since the Lady Buffs sscored their 50th straight victory over a Lone Star Conference opponent by sweeping UCO. I know volleyball's really big up here, and on WT's Homecoming weekend, a respectable crowd showed up for the match.

The Lady Buffs appear to be as well-oiled a machine as any athletic team up here, although the Randall and Amarillo High volleyball teams might argue with that. With balanced attack and excellent teamwork, WT is a fun team to watch, and it's worth catching the Lady Buffs if you have the time.

I know it's still football season. But with the weather getting colder, it's nice to spend some quality time indoors.

No comments: